I have started this post so many times and ended up deleting before I even made it through a complete sentence. I struggle knowing how I want to utilize this blog, especially now that we're in Colorado. I must say, it's really hard to balance my social media usage! Why would I want to use Blogger, Facebook and Twitter all at the same time? How can I make the blog portion different from what I post on Facebook? And, Twitter. Let's not go there.
These are all questions that I've been thinking about since we moved here. I want a way to share my heart and connect with our friends and family all across the states. Something that is more than just a Facebook post. Facebook is fun, don't get me wrong. However, I run into a few problems there... (1) often times it feels so surfacey, (2) we have chosen to share a Facebook account and I want to try and respect that (by not oversharing), (3) everyone that we are friends with (all 301 of you) has to read through our posts as they're scrolling through their newsfeed (assuming that one hasn't already chosen to "hide" us because they already think I overshare). <sigh> Social media woes.
I wonder what life would be like being a parent before internet. Easier or more difficult? I kind of remember what it was like to be a kid without internet, considering my earliest memories of email/internet/AOL were during my early high school years. Being a kid without internet/social media was easy! In fact, I would even dare to say that I am glad that I was in college before social media became the giant that it is today! Galatians 1:10 says, For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. This is a daily struggle. My life is full of moments of self-comparison, self-doubt, and questioning every decision I (and we) make, especially as a parent. I question whether the Internet has any truly enriched my own life, as a blessing, or if it has been somewhat of a hindrance in my own personal walk. If I was truly seeking God in my day to day, would it really matter to me if I read one of those "super mom" posts on Facebook? If I truly saw my self worth the way Christ sees me, I would know that He is all I need, regardless of how awful my day has gone.... i.e., the kids watched too much TV, the kitchen's a mess, I spent too much time on Facebook, I reacted to Brennan rather than lovingly addressing the problem at hand, and so on. By the way, I am guilty of those "super mom" posts myself. When things are going well, I want to share with others! I pray that in the future I could also remember to share when things aren't going so well... its all about balance and through that balance we are able to truly share our lives with others. Especially within the mom community. I want to be more authentic. More transparent.
Well, anyway, here's to a renewed blog. A fresh start in a new home. A new state. The starts of a new routine.
love it! that's why I love blogs. They offer so much more than FB. Looking forward to reading more about your life!
ReplyDelete